Sunday, July 31, 2011

Nonfiction Monday stops at Lori Calabrese Writes!

Welcome to Nonfiction Monday! Nonfiction Monday takes place every Monday as various blogs throughout the kidlitosphere write about nonfiction books for kids and collect them all in one place.  I'm excited to be hosting this week's installment, so if  you have a link to share, please include it in the linky list below. Otherwise, be sure to check out all of the great posts featured. To see the entire schedule for Nonfiction Monday, please visit the blog of Anastasia Suen

Weird but True! 3: 300 Outrageous FactsSome of my favorite nonfiction books for young readers are the National Geographic Kids' Weird But True Series. Weird but True! 3: 300 Outrageous Facts is the third installment and just as fun as the first two.

Young readers will be fascinated by such outrageous facts like kangaroos can jump more than 30 feet in one hop. That's the length of 12 skateboards! Also, a baby humpback whale drinks up to 130 gallons of milk each day; warthogs don't have warts; and at a restaurant in Michigan, you can order a supersize hamburger that weighs as much as a grown man!

You can't make this stuff up! These books are irresistible with their easy to read design, vibrant photos and wacky facts. I know I can't wait to check out the Ultimate version,  NG Kids Ultimate Weird but True: 1,000 Wild & Wacky Facts and Photos (National Geographic), which will be released in September!

Additional Information:
Reading level: Ages 9-12
Paperback: 208 pages
Publisher: National Geographic Children's Books; Original edition (June 14, 2011)
ISBN-10: 1426307667
ISBN-13: 978-1426307669
Source of review copy: publicist
Disclosure: Some of the books I review are received from publishers , PR agencies, and authors, but it does not sway my opinion of the book.

8 comments:

  1. Lori, thank you for hosting today! I'm envious that you have a copy of Weird But True. It would be perfect for my 5th graders. I'll be looking for it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, thanks for hosting this week. Looks like this book is also mighty interesting. I'd check this one out in our library.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Lori for hosting! Yes, I want to get Weird But True, too. I agree with Jeff -- kids would love it. And his comment reminded me of one of my favorite books that I read to my 5th grade students (those three minutes before the bell rings) called Mistakes That Worked - Inventions that Came to Be. Fun stuff!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for hosting. Good choice. Kids do love wacky, and they're likely to learn more from Weird But True than from Ripley's! ha! ha!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ha, I've got that on my order list - kids really like Nat'l Geographic's facty books.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sounds like a lot of fun facts to weave into lessons. Thanks for hosting today.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for hosting today. I think my students would love this book as well.

    ReplyDelete
  8. So glad to hear everyone enjoys the Nat'l Geographic books just like I do!

    Jeanne--I've never heard of that book, but it sounds like fun, too!

    Thanks everyone for linking up! Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete